Monday, May 18, 2009

My Philosophy Statement

My Students are my Credentials
My life experience has largely been as a soldier, and I believe it will serve me well as a teacher. As a leader, I was entrusted with the care, safety, development, and training of my soldiers, regardless of their background, race, color, or creed. The reward for accepting such responsibility is seeing what a soldier is capable of accomplishing with proper mentorship. On my shoulders rested the responsibility of America’s sons and daughters, just as it will as a teacher. Teaching is leadership, and my philosophy is based on my leadership experience.
I believe without setting high standards for children, they will never achieve nor know their full potential. By challenging my students with high standards, and teaching them how to achieve those standards, they will not only learn but they will also gain resiliency, and confidence in themselves. As a teacher, I must know my students individual abilities and keep them in their individual zone of proximal development. Challenge builds teamwork, and being part of a team inspires courage. Getting a student’s parents and peers involved creates a team that will provide support and inspiration for the child.
I believe I must continuously strive to increase my competence as a teacher. A teacher must have three types of knowledge. I must know my subject area. A mastery of my subject area is required to confidently instruct it, and present it in different ways so each student can grasp the concepts. I must know child development. A thorough knowledge of the physical, cognitive, and social development of my students will enable me to understand how they learn and how best to reach them. I must know and care for my students. Unsurpassed lesson plans and child development theories are useless without knowing, and having a genuine concern for each individual child. These three knowledge bases combined will give me the tools to reach every child.
I believe in setting the example. Just as I set high standards for my students, I also set high standards for myself. A teacher is a role model, and high standards of character are inherent in that role. Everyday my students will look to me for instruction, but also look at me to see if I am trustworthy, honest and someone they want to emulate. My attitude and knowledge will be conveyed to my students. Regardless of what is going on in a child’s life outside of my classroom, I can be a positive influence on that child. My appearance, conduct, and character are all subject to scrutiny not only by students, but also Parents, colleagues, and the community. I must set the example; I must be a role model in my classroom, and in my community.
After a horrific battle on the Cotentin Peninsula in France, German General Ramcke sent word to the American forces that he wanted to discuss terms of surrender. In meeting with American General Canham, he asked, “I am to surrender to you. Let me see your credentials.” Pointing to his dirty, exhausted, but victorious soldiers, General Canham replied, “These are my credentials.” My students are my credentials. It is through care, challenge, and guidance that they will achieve greatness. They are America’s sons and daughters. They are the future of our country. My students and my country deserve the best I can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment